Sunday, April 18, 2010

when cricket took precedence over life

We went to watch the match between RCB and MI on 17th Apr. This was the first ever T20 match that I had gone to watch live at the stadium. But ironic it may sound, at around 3:30 PM one of my apartment friend called to check if I am allright as there is a bomb explosion in the stadium.
I guess few minutes before he called, we did hear a loud noise, but we mistook it for some crackers being burst by someone outside. I called home only to get the confirmation that indeed there is a explosion, but of low intensity.
Again as ironic as it may sound, all this news seemed completely meaningless to me/us at that time and we decided (actually we even didn't think about for a moment to leave the match and go back to the saftey of our homes) to continue waiting for the match to begin.Of course there is slight less blatantness to the whole thing as the reasoning was if the players can take the risk, definitely we can.

Later on when I reflect, in the bigger scheme of things (thats the life) I feel it was really a stupid thing to sit there and continue watching the match.

But thats the kind of world we are living in, where the value of life is diminishing at a much faster rate then anything else and the kind of impact cricket has got on our lives that sometimes we are ready to put our lives at risk, just for watching cricket...realllllly ironic.

Happy to be alive !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment